Saturday, February 20, 2010

Reviving Love

What a Month! February is almost over and yet I've had so many adventures already throughout this month. I was able to go out to Utah to help my old boss with her flower shop the second week of this month and while I was out there I re-united with some old friends and room mates and even went on a couple dates! It was so much fun and I'll be excited when I can do it again soon. Then, when I returned home I was able to get some surfing in before the weather gets too cold (ok so it pretty much is already there but I sucked it up) One day I noticed that my board had taken in a little bit of water. NOT GOOD! then I noticed there was some more bruising on it (portions of the board where water has damaged the inside and where it is now sensitive) I was so sad. I may have to retire 'ol Lola. I went in to a couple different local surf shops to see what they could do and how much it would cost.

Now, I originally bought the board for 200. It's had quite a few runs in her so It's worth about 125 now. Well, the quote came. 70 dollars for JUST the re-buff , wax and two of the small dings repaired. So, that's not even including the rest of the bruising and paint job, yada yada yada. I decided to take matters into my own hands. luckily, living on the coast and near water, we have marina's and other shops that provide equipment to fix water recreational things. So, I went to a couple shops, picked up some paint, brushes, wax, buffer and pic, and went at it! it's been 3 days and this is what it looks like so far....

Before:



if you look closely you can see the spots, and if you look even CLOSER you will see the damaged nose that has wax smothered on it.

the First and second day:



I added the stripes. now, the BLACK is JUST TAPE to seperate the pink stripe from the yellow base color , it's not actual paint haha but It did look a little cool and made me think to add black stripes to it too. and finally....


the third day (today):



I added part of the flower and vines. Now this is all done by hand so it's going to take time. I still have a lot to do. When you are re-painting a surf board, or boat or anything that is going to be in water, especially SALT water, you have to use acrylic based MARINE paint. a lot of people were telling me to go to wal*mart. which I could do for normal acrylic paint but that would wash off with the salt water after 1 use. It's not too expensive, about 8 dollars for a quart. If you're paying anything more than that you are getting jipped or probably just live in a super small town where they can charge you a lot. =) Anyways, I'm WAY excited. I still have to add the details to the flower and Vines and then paint the back side. I should be completely done by the end of the month. then it will be all ready to ride this summer! (even though I'll be at school, I will still visit and go surfing a lot) So I'm excited! I'll have to show you all how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment